Unfortunately we are unable to offer our exercise sessions at the moment due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Check here for any updates.
Do you Suffer Pain from Hip or Knee Osteoarthritis and Want a Non Surgical Treatment Option?
Osteoarthritis Treatment in Australia
Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common lifestyle disease in individuals 65 years of age and older, but can also affect individuals as young as 30. In Australia, treatment has traditionally focused on surgery. However, current national and international clinical guidelines recommend patient education, exercise and weight loss as first line treatment for osteoarthritis.
The GLA:D Australia program offers a safe alternative to surgery. GLA:D™, or Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark, is a 6 week education and supervised exercise program developed by researchers in Denmark for all individuals with hip or knee osteoarthritis symptoms, regardless of severity. The program is run by physiotherapists and reflects the latest evidence in osteoarthritis research.
This program is unique in that the education and exercises provided can be applied to everyday activities. By strengthening and correcting daily movement patterns, participants will train their bodies to move properly, prevent symptom progression and reduce pain.
What Results Should I Expect if I Participate in the Program?
Outcome measures taken from participants 12 months after they completed the program showed on average a:
- 32% reduction in symptom progression
- 28% reduction in pain
- 20% improvement in quality of life
- 16% less people taking pain mediation
- 9.4% reduction in people taking sick leave from work.
Can I participate in GLA:D™ Australia?
Yes, if you have hip and or knee osteoarthritis.
Symptoms of osteoarthritis include:
- Pain on activities such as putting on socks, using stairs, vacuuming, standing or walking for a long time and a restriction in leisure activities.
- Morning Joint Stiffness
- Clicking, giving way or grating feelings in the joint.
You may not be able to participate in the GLA:D™ Australia program if:
- You have other reasons for your hip/knee pain, including tumour, inflammatory joint disease, fracture or connective tissue problems.
- You have other symptoms more pronounced than the OA problems (for example chronic generalised pain or fibromyalgia).
- You are unable to understand and communicate in English.
GLA:D™ Australia consists of:
A first appointment explaining the program and assessing what you can do.
- Two education sessions which teach you about osteoarthritis, how the GLA:D™ Australia exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this outside of the program.
- Group training sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control of the joint.
- A home program to continue with for a further 6 weeks.
- A 3 month follow up review.
Where Can I Go and What Does it Cost?
The Adelaide Crows Sports Medicine Clinic at West Lakes, South Australia, run the GLA:D™ Australia program. Other centres can be found at gladaustralia.com.au.
The cost of the program varies depending on private health insurance rebates, enhanced primary care plans or if self funded. Please contact us directly to find out more. You do not need a referral from your Doctor.
Not sure if this program is right for you?
Our Physio’s offer a FREE, 10 minute phone consult to discuss your specific issues and answer any questions.
Contact our clinic today. 08 8347 2043
Want more information?